The summer’s coming to an end. The kids will be going back to school any day. With the start of school, so too, starts the morning rush. Keep in mind, mornings don’t have to be filled with the stress and yelling that so many of us experience each and every day. With just a little bit of planning and some consistency your mornings, and your kids’ mornings, can be stress-free and everyone can start their day off on the right foot.
The key to having a stress free morning routine is to have a smooth bedtime routine. Remember, a routine is something that is followed regularly, standard procedures. Without the consistency you will have an uphill battle.
Here are some tips to a stress free morning routine:
• Early to bed, early to rise. That one is simple.
• Showers and baths should be taken at night. You think you’ll have time in the morning, but you rarely do.
• Look over all homework for completeness before bed; don’t assume it’s finished.
• Before bed ensure lunches are made, backpack is packed and there are no surprise “Oh I need _____ today!
• Give singular instructions. Don’t say, “I want you to finish your homework, eat breakfast, get dressed, comb your hair, brush your teeth and be in the car by 8:15.” To a child, that sounds like “blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.” One instruction at a time works wonders.
• No yelling. Raising your voice, albeit frustrated, is only going to escalate matters.
You are the parent; you set the tone for the morning routine. You need to be actively involved in the morning routine. Follow the steps above and I guarantee your mornings will be stress-free.