Many seniors are frail and unable to fully care for themselves. They are particularly vulnerable to intentional abuse or neglect.
Here are some warning signs of elder abuse:
- Any sign of physical harm, including bruises, fractures, burns or marks on the skin.
- Sudden withdrawal, depression and reduced alertness, or other changes in behavior or personality.
- Unexpected changes in financial status, which could indicate that the elderly person is being exploited.
- Unexplained weight loss, bedsores or lack of personal hygiene.
- Signs of being threatened or belittled.
- Frequent arguing between caregiver and the elderly person, and signs of strain in the relationship